9. The first sawmill in the U.S. was built in Maine in 1623.
8. Machias was the site of the first naval battle of the Revolutionary War in 1775.
7. In 2012, Maine, Maryland, and Washington simultaneously became the first states to legalize same-sex marriage by popular vote.
6. York became the first chartered city in the U.S. in 1641. In 1642, it became the country’s first incorporated city.
5. Maine is home to Togus, the first Veteran hospital in the country. Togus was founded in 1866.
4. In 2015, Maine became the first state to offer scholarships to middle schoolers to join a virtual international space station through the Space Station Academy. Through the program, they get to be part of simulated space missions. How cool!
3. Maine was the first state to make it legal for individuals to import prescription drugs. The bill passed in 2013, and has allowed residents to save up to 90% on the cost of medicine.
2. In 1607, the first ship ever built by English colonists in the U.S. was built along the Kennebec River in what is now Phippsburg.
1. Eastport, Maine is the easternmost city in the entire country. That means it’s the first place to see the sun rise (sunrise) each morning!