My Status

By Anna Von Reitz

My Status

It’s pretty amusing. Along with all the other communications I get every day, I am getting quite a number of complaints about typos and odd words in my posts, also complaints about getting posts re-routed through my webmaster’s good offices.

I should explain.

The 7.0 Earthquake at the end of November set in motion a series of other events. The old “rock in the pond” phenomenon has been engaged.

After the initial stunned silence, we began with the obvious things — replacing shattered windows, jacking up fallen entryways and carports, replacing insulation, etc., etc., etc.

We also swept up shattered glass and put books back on bookshelves in no particular order and dumped large amounts of mixed up stacks of paperwork into boxes.

Since two of our computers were in the end evaluation damaged beyond repair by the power surge that accompanied the automatic shut down of the power plants triggered by the Earthquake, we had to replace/reconfigure our office and computer network, too.

All this is going on with no letup or stop in the workflow demand already placed on us. If anything, we have had to increase the amount of bank, diplomatic, and correspondence work throughout this time period, plus as a result of all that, add many hours of additional research time for our history and process guys.

When you talk to people, they naturally have questions and those questions lead to more questions, which lead to more answers, which lead to more questions.

This is the story of my life.

So, we were able to barter tools for labor and work other deals to get assistance that was needed, and allow us to spend donations on materials, replacement equipment, etc., but all this takes time— especially when other issues are constantly intruding and demanding attention. Thus, even though it is now two months after the disaster, we are only now getting my home office set back up to be useable.

This means that on a day to day basis, I have to either travel to the Living Law Firm office in Anchorage, where I have things more or less back to normal, or, I have to function as well as I can at home in Big Lake and continue to reconstruct and sort through my home office where the computer system is still non-functional, the broken furniture and other issues yet to be addressed, and I have only an iPhone to communicate with the outside world.

I can’t be in two places at one time, and now that the main office in Anchorage is back in order, it’s clear that I have to deal with my home office, too.

The articles you have been receiving have all been “written” one keystroke at a time and transmitted to Paul, and he has taken on the extra duties as assigned to post the articles and get them out for me.

Straightening out my office is something that only I can do. Some of this paperwork goes back thirty years. So, I am the one who has to do this job and there is nobody else with the background to (with relative certainty) piece it back together.

I have to bite the bullet and do as much as I can, as fast as I can, and keep plugging away at it. The effort is somewhat hampered by lack of funds overall. The diplomatic issues and the historical research demands have eaten into the money for earthquake repairs and replacements.

Also, one of our key contributors had to relocate from one end of the country to the other, because their spouse got a new job assignment. We are still scrambling trying to help their family with the expenses of that move, which was not foreseen and not something they could avoid— especially as the spouse is now the primary breadwinner to allow her husband, a former Bar Attorney who tore up his card and came to aid us, the freedom to devote his time to this effort.

Please understand, I am not complaining one iota. The outpouring of help and the kindness and generosity everyone has displayed in helping us recoup from the earthquake has been in the true American Tradition and we are all very grateful. I am just letting everyone know “where I am at” and why my posts have glitches and why they are being transferred by Paul for a few days.

This is also why I have been hard to get hold of via phone. I only have one phone at Big Lake that connects to me (the land lines are down and my husband’s phones are for his work and communication with him) so for the time I am there, everything directed to me is being funneled through one lonely iPhone. I often get text messages and phone calls coming in three and four deep at the same time and can’t answer. The coverage of the phones at The Living Law Firm has been stressed out, too.

Our lead receptionist has been laid low with back surgery, our back-up receptionist has suffered bladder cancer therapy that takes them out two days of every week for six weeks, and that leaves the “rest of us” pinch-hitting. Correspondence is slow for similar reasons. My most experienced helper in that department is a Snow Bird who spends winters in Texas, and the two other wonderful helpers I have both got hit with family issues — husband with a heart attack, daughter with six children coming home to Mom out of the blue.

“Beset and besieged” might be a good description of what has gone on here this winter. I am constantly reminded of Gilda Radner’s comedy routine: “It’s always something.” For us, it has been more than “something”. It’s been “everything” this winter.

Bad weather of various kinds has played its part, too. Similar to the rest of the country we have been having extremes of weather — “instant” blizzards that start and stop like someone turned a switch and ice storms that leave the roads unbelievably slick. Add that to four hours of daylight and it really cuts down on mobility.

So, what do you do? You hunker down. You face the fact that you aren’t twenty anymore and no longer do well with leaping over tall mountains or seeing through thick veils of snow in the dark.

On a much brighter note, my dog’s lymphoma/tumors on his liver have completely disappeared. The dandelion therapy from Germany did its work and his most recent ultrasound scan showed no masses or obstructions, and his latest blood tests are A-Okay. He had signs of laryngeal paralysis, but those, too, are slacking off. For a 13-year-old Labrador Retriever, he is about as happy and frisky as a dog can be.

Please bear with us as we continue to Dig Out. Someday I will go back and correct all typos and autocorrects. If you can send a donation in this dark and dreary winter, it’s turning out to be the equivalent of our Valley Forge. I am still the Paymaster for the burgeoning force of historical researchers and disaffected (and disgusted) former Bar Members gathering to do battle with “The System”. Please send what you can to either my PayPal: or via snail mail to: Anna Maria Riezinger, c/o Box 520994, Big Lake, Alaska 99652.

Please donate to help offset the costs of this newsletter                                                                     


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.