We have been notified by the Maine Credit Union League that there has been an increased volume of fraudsters spoofing Maine credit union phone numbers and impersonating employees. Their intent is to obtain your personal identification and account information to steal your identity and / or money.
If you receive a call from Midcoast Federal Credit Union or any other caller asking for your personal identification or account information – HANG UP. This is most likely an impostor fraudulently representing a legitimate business. To validate or report the call, contact the business by calling the number you have on file, not the number the caller / fraudster provides you.
- Fraudsters will go to extreme lengths to get your personal or account information.
- Any business you have a relationship with will have your information on file. They will NEVER ask you for personal, financial or password information.
- Be vigilant! Review your account transactions and report any suspicious activity or unauthorized transactions immediately.
- Fraud is on the rise year-round, but especially this time of year.
- Be empowered! Do not answer calls from unknown numbers.
- If you receive a suspicious call, hang up, do not engage the caller.
- If you give out your personal information, alert your financial institution(s) that your personal information has been compromised. They will assist you with the next steps.
- Delete emails from unknown senders.
- Do not open or click email attachments on emails you were not expecting.
Report any spoofed calls claiming to be from Midcoast Federal Credit Union to us directly by calling 1.877.964.3262 or emailing email@example.com. Please provide the date, time of the call and phone number used.
Stay safe out there!