What the dictator and tyrant Gaddafi did to his people is now becoming known little by little on a daily basis. Here is a list of his ‘atrocities’ the Libyans suffered for for 4 decades.
1. There was no electricity bill in Libya. Electricity was free for all citizens.
2. There was no interest on loans. State banks issued loans to all citizens at zero percent interest per law.
3. Home ownership was considered a human right in Libya.
4. All the newlyweds in Libya were given $50,000 This money should enable people to buy their first home. The government wanted to contribute to the start of a family.
5. Education and medical treatment were free in Libya. Before Gaddafi came to power, only 25 percent of Libyans could read. Today the number is 83 percent.
6. Libyans wanted to make a career in agriculture, they received farmland, a farmhouse, equipment, seeds and cattle as a fast-start for their farms, and all for free.
7. If Libyans couldn’t find the education or medical facilities they needed, they had the opportunity to go abroad with the help of state funds. They were paid $2,300 a month for lodging and car.
8. When a Libyan bought a car the government subsidized 50 percent of the price.
9. The price of gas in Libya was $0.14 (12 raps or so 0.10 Euro) per liter.
10. If a Libyan did not get a job after studying, the state would pay the average salary of the profession in which he was seeking a job, until a professionally adequate employment was found..
11. Libya has no foreign debt and its reserves of $150,000,000,000 are now frozen worldwide and likely lost forever.
12. A portion of every Libyan oil sale was credited directly to the accounts of all Libyan citizens.
13. Mothers who gave birth received $5,000.
14. 25 percent of Libyans have a university degree.
15. Gaddafi launched The Great Man Made River Project (GMMRP or GMMR, dt.) Large man-made river project) in Libya. It is the world largest drinking water pipeline project for better water supply to population and agriculture.
Thank God Nato and rebels freed the Libyan people from this…? NO.
In memory of Gaddafi’s achievements, here’s a brief overview:
September 1969, Muammar al-Gaddafi with his “Federation of Free Officers” cleanses the monarchy of the corrupt King Idris and declares the Republic. He will be the head of state himself. He immediately begins with building a secular, people’s socialist state. The US and UK military bases are closed, many foreigners and Jews are deported from the country. Alcohol will be banned.
The year after, the nationalization of foreign ownership, especially the oil industry, begins. The profits from this invests Gaddafi into free state education and health care. He creates an irrigation system that allows the desert state to sustain itself in agriculture.
1973 he declared Islam as an alternative to both capitalist materialism and communist atheism (“3. International Theory “). 1976/77 direct democracy is proclaimed on the basis of Quran and Gaddafi’s “Green Book”.
The head of state is taking extensive social-political measures: housing, raising minimum wages, subsidizing basic food, electricity, gas and fuel. Since 1973, the workers have been participating in the corporate profits.
Thanks to these measures, Libya had the lowest levels of prosperity and at the same time the highest gross domestic product in all of Africa: per capita $ 9400 annually. In Tunisia it was 3400 dollars, in Egypt 1700 Furthermore, Libya was debt free.
Libya had no civil wars, no refugees and IDPs, no child soldiers like everywhere else in Africa. Libya was the country with the lowest HIV infection rate, lowest child mortality rate and highest life expectancy in all of Africa. (This information is taken from the “dtv-atlas world history”, Munich 2010, S. 618-626)
Prosperity also allowed Libya to build an adequate national defense. Their quality was proven in the fact that after almost eight months and thousands of air strikes, the NATO aggressors managed to break the Libyan resistance.
This war was known to have a pregame: After incidents of US maneuvers due to American provocations, the American Air Force flew attacks against Tripoli and Benghazi already in 1986. In 1988 Libya was accused of an air assassination by the West. Since 1992/93, UN sanctions and an economic blockade were imposed because of this. So it was all prepared by long hand.
We, Americans, should be so blessed !!!